SCALE in partnership with
UP works with major international partners such as PwC to drive companies with high growth potential to achieve scale.
UP and PwC help entrepreneurs to grow bigger, better, faster companies through a carefully curated matching process of high quality mentors and startups, tailored masterclasses and events.
UP recently partnered with PwC to deliver The Future of Health at MediaCityUK in Manchester (part of PwC’s SCALE programme) – a programme for fast growth, high potential companies shaping the future of health through scalable innovation. One of the press articles is quoted below:
The inaugural Future of Health accelerator, delivered by a partnership between The Landing, PwC and tech investment and accelerator specialists UP, has been hailed a huge success with nearly every participating firm securing new investment or new business opportunities.
The 12-week programme, was designed to help nine fast-growth start-ups and scale-ups within the health and medical sectors to drive innovation, create new business opportunities and attract investors.
Support included help setting KPIs aligned to increasing revenue growth and advice around how to secure market traction through engagement with corporates and commissioning bodies.
Participating companies also enjoyed executive-level introductions through an extensive network of thought leaders, industry executives and health-tech specialists. Those taking part also got the opportunity to pilot their new technologies, and pitch their proposition, to healthcare organisations and potential investors.
As a result of this comprehensive package of support, introductions and pitching opportunities, many from the Future of Health cohort have secured funding or other major business development opportunities.
- London-based Cera, a multi-award-winning technology-enabled homecare provider, closed £2.7 million in seed funding, and established 15 partnerships with NHS organisations and councils.
- Hertfordshire’s 11 Health, who have developed a self-reporting ‘smart’ colostomy bag, are now in discussions with Salford Royal Hospital to pilot the product.
- Manchester’s Aerobit, who have created an IoT-enabled Asthma inhaler, closed an investment round from existing investors and are currently working with UP to secure a further significant seed round of investment.
- Cambridge’s Altogame are specialists in behavioural research conducted through multiplayer virtual online games and learning simulations. They have been selected in the Alder Hey Hospital Innovation Hub and are in negotiation to secure pilot projects there. Altogame are also in talks to supply another major North West NHS Trust, a North West London NHS Trust, a large financial services group and a global consulting company.
- London-based Kafoodle, a hospitality business who work with healthcare providers to create personalised hospital diet plans for patients with food preferences or issues, are in talks with a CCG to develop a healthy eating programme. They are also talking with various hospitals and care homes after validating their product offering in the 3 months. They are thinking of setting up a Manchester office as a result of the programme.
Other companies, such as ImproveWell (formerly Propeller), HiMotiv and Uniquedoc, have secured new contracts and pilot schemes, while Australian-based WellCare who provide a remote medical second opinion service have obtained contracts with a number of healthcare providers and have been approached for a joint venture with a global technology company.
Ali Moiyed, CEO of Aerobit, said: “It was really tough to get on the programme and we were surrounded by companies from London, Cambridge and even Sydney who all had brilliant products with immense commercial potential. However, with the help of UP and the other partners, we were able to develop our proposition and close on a major round of funding. We are now aiming much higher, and are working closely with UP to raise a further seed round from Health tech investors. We would not have got to this point as quickly without this accelerator, and it’s been great working with PwC, The Landing, UP and the rest of the cohort as the process has genuinely transformed our business in just three months.”
An announcement on another SCALE partnership programme in London will be released shortly…
UP Futures Accelerator Lab
UP works with startups and scaleups and subject to successful application and final selection, young companies will get a brilliant collaborative environment, access to some of the world’s biggest market making corporations, and exposure to investors and partners ready to back great teams with disruptive ideas.
The UPscale Programme sees UP work with major international partners to help companies with high growth potential to achieve scale. We help entrepreneurs to grow bigger, better, faster companies through a carefully curated matching process of high quality mentors and startups, tailored masterclasses and events. Our programme sponsors set a challenge and ask the participating scaleups to provide potential solutions to that challenge. Often run as a competition, participants can secure investment, development resources and new clients from the corporate sponsors, UP and other participating executives and mentors.
The UPstart Programme – UP looks for businesses with a prototype, early stage product, service or platform with the potential to grow significantly and ideally disrupt the market they’re aimed at. And while most accelerators look for teams of two or three people with at least two coders, UP’s ideal centres around teams with business, technical and creative skills. It doesn’t matter who’s come up with the idea, or indeed if the entire skillset’s already in place – if the idea is great, UP will help build the team.
The Technical Innovation Studio in partnership with
In partnership with The Landing at MediaCityUK, we have access to world class technical testing and product development facilities (Innovation Centre). This allows us to develop, build, test and validate new product development ideas quicker and more cost effectively than our cohort companies and our corporate clients can achieve themselves.
We invent, build, launch and scale people-focused digital products and services that allow us and our partners to improvise, adapt and overcome the day-to-day challenges of a consumer-driven digital world. Either working closely with in-house teams or as part of a client’s ‘hot-house’ project we create and implement rapid-innovation programmes that drive new growth opportunities. Through our creative methodologies, we ignite breakthrough initiatives that form truly digital businesses. Then, through structured coaching and mentoring we help develop a culture of creativity and intrapreneurship that endure long after our programmes are finished.
Who would typically benefit from our services?
- Brands who want to innovate quicker than they are currently able to. Typically they want to jump-start the thinking and behaviour of their existing team whilst also creating new products and services. Our tailored 90-day innovation programmes form scalable projects and are designed to create people and product breakthroughs that endure.
- Corporate brands that want to create a managed innovation programme outside of the day-to-day business. Working with key stakeholders we incubate ideas through our tailored innovation programme without being part of ‘the mothership’. We prototype, interrogate and apply critical analysis. Then, when the time is right, we help embed what we’ve co-created and learned back into the core business.
- We also work with business founders from a non-tech background to help develop their business model, brand and ultimately their digital product. As part of UP Ventures we then help them find a platform to scale.
We sometimes come up with the idea ourselves, or we’ll work with an entrepreneur at the earliest stages before a company is really formed and there’s only a kernel of an idea where an entrepreneur comes to us. Or we may have worked on an idea in a particular space ourselves, and then, either on our own or with an entrepreneur, we’ll create a company, get it validated, raise money, find the right CEO and team, spin it off, and hopefully help make it really successful.
Insight in collaboration with
Using our deep insight and practical experience in crowdsourcing and digital collaboration, we gain insight from targeted customers in a highly cost efficient, innovative and effective way, which will help you de-risk your product development and launch. We have a network of partners and associates with deep domain expertise who proactively contribute to our Knowledge Hub to build not just insight but foresight that is always ahead of the curve.
We proactively monitor the market for opportunities and solutions. Our Knowledge hub platform is used to categorise and rate the strength of the startup ecosystem in 8 key international locations. This, combined with the intelligence we receive about corporate innovation in our key verticals allows us to quickly locate and source great teams, big opportunities and competitive solutions that can result in accelerated stop/go decisions.
Established companies use our Insight Hub to assess the market viability of new products and services, to explore market reaction to different price points and/or to prioritise new features in existing products.